Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 4 and 5 and 6

Whoops, getting caught up in things already so I haven't sent emails.  On Monday Stevie had to go check in to the hospital so the kids and I made another trek to the Starbucks (by request of the kids! They have a really good lemon green tea frappaccino) and then to what we were told is the place most like Walmart.  That wouldn't be my description.  More like a department store full of little individual stores.  There was a whole aisle of rice cookers!  That afternoon we all settled in for a nice long nap so I can now say we have adjusted to the time.

Tuesday we were told we all had to attend a "housing class" and then would be able to look at potential houses.  Well, we got there at 7:30 am and then were told there wasn't room for the kids.  So I ended up in the lobbying entertaining the kids for an hour and a half!  And then we were told to call back on Thursday for the houses.  Oh well...  the kids and I spent the afternoon baking at the pool and talking to some other folks about to leave.  I was drilling them for all the good info and recommendations they could give.  That night we tried a Korean barbeque restaurant (home of the previously sent "dancing family" sign).  We had a great time cooking our food and then figuring out what we were eating!  A bit risky taking a 2 year old to a restaurant with an open flame in the middle of the table, but it was fun.  I have to say that the kids have been really adventurous and accepting of all the new things we're throwing at them.  Right down to the seaweed soup.

Today's adventure took us to the mandatory "newcomer's class".  The bus picked us up at 6:10 (yes that is AM!)  I was prepared to be in a day long class with all three kids, but was relieved to find out that there was room for child care for Cannon and London.  Emmy had to stay with us, but she was perfect.  Nine hours of grueling lectures by all kinds of agencies and such and she never made a peep.  We learned all about what not to do, what to do, how to drive, what not to touch (snakes, centipedes, spiders), and especially, don't drink and drive.  Apparently they take drinking and driving really seriously here.  The day was capped by a speech by the General.  He was definitely a don't-mess-with-me-hard-core-Marine.  I'll try to steer clear of him!

Must sign off now so that I can study for my driver's license test!  Feel like I'm 16 again!

Oh yeah, I promised you the toilet picture.  The attached picture is of our toilet in our "Japanese-style" flat.  Note the efficiency of the toilet and sink all in one.  Does make you wonder how clean your hands are getting knowing that you're washing them in toilet water!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment