Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tuesdays at Tiara





I have a confession to make. Since last October I have been indulging in a guilty pleasure almost every Tuesday. But it's ok, my mom knows about it (she started it with me) and Stevie knows too (he's accompanied me on his off days ), and even Carlos and Diana partook. Real your imaginations back in, it's only an indulgence in pastries, not anything more. But now almost five months later, I'm addicted. Who knew that Japanese breads were soooo good? And this is coming from a gal who worked at a German bakery and lived in France. No one ever thinks of bread when they think Japanese - rice, yes; fish, yes, but bread? No way! This must be the best kept secret of all.

 

So it all started back when my mom was here in October. One Tuesday we were a little early to pick Emmy up from preschool so I was nervy enough to stop at a shop that had piqued my interest each time I drove past on the way to Emmy's school. I was fairly confident it was a bakery as the sign said "Tiara: pasta and bread". You see, identifying a store here is much more complex than it should be, but that's another topic. Anyways, on that fateful day , we parked outside of Tiara and ventured in. The first thing you were hit with was the aroma, ahhhhhh, the smell that started the mouth watering before the eyes even took in the sights. But the sights were good too! Beautifully presented breads, bagels and buns of varying kinds all set out in baskets begging to be eaten. At the beginning, there were no signs in English so every time was a surprise. Now, the owner has kindly started writing the descriptions in English (for me, I 'm sure!) But it didn't matter if you knew what was in them or not, the buns melted in your mouth and made you want to slap yo' mama. (Which, since she was with me, I fortunately didn't.) The breads (called pan in Japanese) varied from savory selections full of cheese or meat with spices to sweet selections made of honey and walnuts and cream cheese and chocolate and black sugar and sweet potato and bean paste (not all in the same pastry). Oh, the selections are endless and are different each time I go in. One of my favorites is the "mugwort with bean paste" - had to try that one because of the name, and it was good. Emmy's favorite (for we go to the "brakery" every Tuesday after school) is the hedgehog - an adorable little bread filled with chocolate. The cute part is that I am given the task of "de-spiking" the hedgehog before she can consume it. I must admit, they are quite spiky (see photos).

 

The whole operation is run by the nicest man and his assistant. Neither of whom speak but a word or two of English, but smiles and nods and "arigato" goes a long way in this yummy bakery.

No comments:

Post a Comment