Sunday, March 7, 2010

Kids Say (and Do) the Funniest Things

It's true, they do, and each of mine had a funny moment recently that I thought I would share.

1.  Cannon - While I was volunteering in Cannon's class the other Thursday, I heard his teacher remind the kids about the spelling test that was the following day.  Later, at home, I asked Cannon if he had studied for this test.  No, says he.  Why? says me.  I was going to practice my guessing, says he.  Ahhhh!!

2.  London - Soccer started here on island last week and both the boys are on teams this spring.  At London's first practice, the coach lined all the kids up on a line, gave them a ball, and asked, "Who knows how to dribble?"  About half the kids raise their hands, including a very enthusiastic London.  Really?  I think to myself; I didn't know he knew anything about soccer as this was his first time playing.  So the coach instructs the kids to dribble the ball down to mid-field and back.  Ready, set, go!  London procedes to pick up the ball, and dribble - basketball style - the ball down the field and back!  I decided at that point that I liked the coach because he didn't yell or laugh or say anything, except to point out there are two ways to dribble and in soccer you use your feet.

3.  Emerson - So you know we had a fairly serious earthquake here last Saturday morning, and all week there have been aftershocks, none of which were major.  And then we had the big tsunami warning last Sunday that disrupted life for an afternoon while we waited to no avail.  Well the whole earthquake/tsunami warning/impending natural disaster thing has the kids a little worried (and Stevie too, to be honest).  I can see that their little minds (not Stevie's!) are trying to process what it all means.  Just last night Emmy looks at me out of the blue and asks, "Mommy, are we going to have another one of those, you know, wiggly things?"

No comments:

Post a Comment