Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sushi Go Round

Starting this year, I have decided to incorporate a new aspect into Cannon's studies - culture - and what better way to do that than to eat at a different restaurant each week?  So I guess it's more like culinary culture than political or economic culture, but I will argue that you can learn a lot about a culture by its food, right? Right.

So this week's lesson was Japanese food (we've already covered Vietnamese, Indian and Jewish -that is if you count bagels as Jewish food...)  But I've been having a hankerin' for sushi and what better place to eat sushi than at the Sushi Go Round.  Yes, that is not a creative title to my post, but the actual name of a restaurant (at least the Americans refer to it as that).  And why is it called a sushi go round?  Because that is what those tasty morsels do - ride around the restaurant on a skinny little conveyor belt. 




The idea is that you peruse the tasty delicacies gliding past your table until one that you think looks good floats by and then you grab it, devour it, then start looking some more.  Brilliant!  And tasty too!



Lydia searching for another selection.

And if you think that this concept is brilliant, then wait until I tell you what other good ideas those inventive Japanese have done...  There are six different colored plates that the sushi sit on and each plate has a corresponding price - from 90 Yen to 520 Yen.  You know how much your choice is by the color of the plate.  Brilliant! 




So you could get a cuttle fish for 90 Yen or a roasted cattle's tongue for 360 Yen (I know what my choice was...) 




The salmon with avocado and roasted eggplant were my favorite while Cannon loved the roasted duck (he first thought it was ham) and the egg sushi.





Brilliant idea number three - make your own tea.  When you sit down the waitress brings over a tea cup and on the table is a box containing green tea bags.  When you want tea you make your own by adding boiling hot water out of a spigot on the side of the table!



Making tea.

Brilliant idea number four - check out. 



These were not all mine!

When you've  finally had your belly full of sushi and the plates are stacked high, the waitress comes by with a handy dandy scanner. 



She waves the contraption down the side of the plates presses a few buttons and hands you something like an oversized camera battery. 




Place that object on the reader at the register, and they automatically knew how big your appetite was.  Amazing!

Shortly after we first moved here, in fact while my mom was here the first time, we visited this restaurant.  I can't believe it has taken me so long to go back!  Thanks Liz and Lydia for going with us and showing us how it works!

7 comments:

  1. I am craving sushi now! :) Definitely going to put this one on the "to do" list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids would starve!!! - Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad Steve and I did not go to that place. We may have had to dip into his salary to cover the tab!
    - Charles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another memory, it was actually my Birthday we went to the Sushi Go Round, and I loved it. - Grammie

    ReplyDelete
  5. How long do they let that food go round and round?
    - Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Louise Coats3/10/2011 9:20 AM

    They have a steady customer stream so I don't think it sits around very long! At least they put sneeze guards on the plates now - I don't think they did that last time I went.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Louise!!
    You wicked, wicked woman! I have slobber all over my keyboard thanks to you! :)
    We LOVED this place and miss it so much. The prices are so cheap compared to what we pay here!
    Eat up and enjoy!
    -Angie

    ReplyDelete