Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Row, row, row your boat

Today I got to experience a truly Japanese tradition - Dragon Boat racing.  About a month or so ago I wrote about the dragon boat races that I attended in Naha (capital city) where teams of men or women race against each other in long boats.  I really thought at the time, how cool would that be to be a part of a team?  But practices were early (5 am in the water!) and long (six weeks before the race) so I thought it might only be a pipe dream.

But yesterday afternoon, my neighbor, Angie, told me that there are dragon boat races all summer in various communities around the island and that there are two teams of military spouses that race in them (the Summer Dragons).  Furthermore, she had been asked to fill in for someone who couldn't make it so she was going to get to race!  With my tongue a-waggin' I asked if they needed anyone else???  The answer came at 9 o'clock last night - I could go!!!  I wasn't sure if I was going to get to race, but I was game just to be there as a part of the festivities.  So shortly after dropping the kids off at school we headed to the bottom of the island - across a short bridge to another island (Ou-jima) to the races.  Turns out Team B was one body short so without any training, grueling workouts or freezing practices I realized my dream of being a part of a dragon boat race!  I really feel a little bad for skipping all the hard work just to realize the glory, but the other team members seemed appreciative to have me there because otherwise they would have had to forfit.


The newest Summer Dragon member!

My friend Angie and I


The motley crew


We're in!  That's me in the back left with the ponytail.


Powering down the first stretch!


Made the first turn and heading back to the second turn.


We made it!  Came in second, but not bad.



My biggest cheerleader (I got a little wet from the splash!)

1 comment:

  1. Louise, you did fantastic! When I felt like slowing down or giving up I could see you in my sights ... you kept me going.
    It was so fun to go with you. Now you're ready for next year! :)
    AK

    ReplyDelete