Sunday, May 23, 2010

Let the Summer Begin!



After seven months of sweat-free, very enjoyable weather (which is very surprising given how stinkin 'hot it was when we first moved here), I think the summer is officially upon us. Last Friday, Saturday and Sunday it POURED rain (most rainfall since 1978 on Okinawa). It was really quite impressive to see such sustained, heavy rain. I was beginning to fear that the "rainy season" we had heard about was going to be seriously dreary to get through.

These photos were taken by my neighbor, Kelly.


Water gushing from the bottom of our hill.


Kelly's son, David, running through the flooded road at the bottom of our hill.

But then the clouds cleared this week, and then, the humidity, no, the STEAM, set in. Whew, how easily I forgot about the sweat-provoking stuff. It's the kind of weather that makes your little toe sweat the minute it sets foot outside the door of the comfortably air-conditioned house.

But summer brings so many things, and yesterday we headed back to the beach to try out the water and it was lovely and warm (enough for me to get in and I don't usually get more than a toe wet until mid-July - I like bathwater-warm water!) The snorkeling wasn't too great as the water was a little murky, but still good enough to see some pretty awesome tropical fish and for the kids to enjoy a splash.




No comments:

Post a Comment