Friday, May 14, 2010

Rainy Day Fun

So it's now rainy season in Okinawa and it's another rainy, dreary day that was shaping up to be a bummer so Emmy Jo and I decided to do something fun.  What else but rain boot shopping!  After discovering that my daughter is the puddle jumper in the family, I decided she needs a pair of rain boots.  We headed off to Jusco (Japanese department store - kind of...) to find the perfect pair.  We found that the Crayola box exploded on a display of rubber boots so there were plenty of colors to choose from...



And a stand of coordinating umbrellas...



After choosing a snazy chartreuse pair (her choice, not mine), we looked around at some of the other stores in Jusco.  I have to say I found a new favorite store!  It's sort of like a 100 Yen store/Bed Bath and Beyond/Spencers gifts all in one.  The confusing mess of merchandise was like a sensory overload, especially with the loud music pumping through the store (think a club version of the theme from James Bond).  This tiny little shop was packed with merchandise that ranged from floor mopping slippers...



To toys (Emmy loved this little walking/talking chihuahua)



To books  (I thought I had found a new bookstore when I saw recipes with the titles in English, but it was only a tease - the recipes were in Japanese!)



To giant tubes of paint that were really toilet paper holders.



To a two foot tall statue of a hamburger (footstool?)



To cute little decorated tweezers (love the package that says "For your relaxing time."  Really, since when is tweezing relaxing???)



I think I'll keep this shop on my list of places to visit when I have hours to waste!

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, I'd have a blast in a place like that and probably spend too much money on a bunch of things I don't need but at the moment couldn't live without! ;)

    ReplyDelete