Sunday, December 19, 2010

Pottery

Okinawa has some beautiful pottery and I happen to be a big fan of pottery. A few weeks ago, the family, along with our neighbor Kelly, ventured down to an area known for its pottery just off of the famed Kokusai Street. They were having a sale in the sports grounds of a Japanese school with lots and lots of booths set up from different potters and studios. I was in hog heaven, the trouble is it’s so hard to decide on what to buy, everything is so cool. We did invest in one piece there – a unique tea pot in one of the local styles.



Emmy with Ms. Kelly looking at the shisa dogs



This weekend we headed out to the other well-known spot on the island for pottery – Yomitan Pottery Center. I’ve written about this before as it’s one of my favorite places to visit (and take company!) This unique little place is a cooperative of potters who each have their own studio in this tiny village and they share a kiln which is fired up four times a year. The kiln is built on an incline and is fired by a huge wood fire. This weekend was their once a year “sale” where not only could you pick up a slight discount (the Japanese idea of a sale is 5-20% off, not like the Americans 50-75% off) but there is much more variety of items during this time. Last year we had an awesome experience as London and Emmy were invited into the inner circle of one of the potters and fed Okinawan donuts, candy and tea.

Inspired by all this awesome pottery, I finally did something in November that I’ve been wanting to do for a long time – take a pottery class! Two of my neighbors, Liz and Kelly, signed up with me and together we went every Wednesday night to learn how to use the pottery wheel. I ended up making quite a few pieces and am quite impressed with the results. Now if I could only find time to go back and do some more…

Me at the wheel.


My first (unfinished) piece!

Kelly and Liz

Some of my finished pieces.

More of my finished pieces.

1 comment: