Saturday, May 28, 2011

Typhoon Songda and bread

Yes, I must be getting partly Japanese to mix such diverse topics in one post, but there is a correlation (sort of).

So we've been waiting all day for what was once "Super Typhoon Songda" to hit our tiny island.  At one point it was supposed to hit us directly at about a category 4, now it seems it's going to swing to our west slightly and be a mere category 2 (96-110 mph winds).  We've been sitting at TCCOR-1 (tropical cyclone condition of readiness) all day in anticipation of the storm.  Poor Stevie has been on hold all day waiting to be called back into the hospital.  He was on call yesterday and is the guy for Sunday so he must go back if the status bumps to TCCOR 1-C. 



Of course, that doesn't mean the weather has been bad.  In fact the kids and I were outside playing for a while until the grueling humidity had us scurrying back into the A/C.  Then about 1:00 I was feeling restless and since there was still no rain and very little rain, I took the kids shopping at the PX.  What else do you do when anticipating a great storm???

Which leads me to the bread part of the title... One thing I do tend to do when trapped inside is to bake and this morning I thought some homemade bread sounded good.  For some reason I had a wild idea that it would be good if you could make bread in a slow cooker (I left my bread machine in storage in Virginia) so I went to the computer, tapped in "slow cooker bread" and *bingo* tons of recipes popped up!  Who knew?  I tried it, it's super easy, and it was wonderful with Italian bean soup for dinner!



Yummy warm, chewy bread!

PS - They just now called to tell Stevie he's due back to the hospital.  Now he has to be on call until Monday morning...bummer!

No comments:

Post a Comment