Thursday, June 7, 2012

First few days in the US

Well, we're back and on the go - we had a lot to accomplish before the kids and I fly out to Grammie and Grandpa's house on Wednesday night.

Of course the first thing we did was stop by the house that we have a contract on to actually see it!  It is beautiful and the views are beyond compare.  We can't wait until we can actually close on the deal and move in.  There is a slight hiccup in that department as there was a problem with the appraisal, but we're working our hardest to overcome that and close on time.  (Long story, not blog worthy.)

After seeing the house we headed up the road to the Naval Base Kitsap where we checked into our hotel and wasted a few hours before all going to bed at 7:00 PM.  I woke up the next day at 12:40 PM!!!  That was one long night...

Our first priority was to get phones, so we are now part of the 21st century.  I feel like I need a college degree to understand my phone, or I just give it to Cannon and he has it figured out in a few minutes...

We also went to Barnes and Noble!!!!

And to a Mexican restaurant for Stevie!!!

The next day our mission was to find a car, which we did, a brand new Honda Odyssey which, despite being a mini-van, is really, really nice.  It's a pretty sweet ride!

Tuesday brought us looking at homes again with Heidi, our realtor.  This was just to be safe in case the original one falls through but after seeing a bunch more homes we all agreed that the one we have the contract on is our favorite.

The area around here is really beautiful and although it's rained some, it also tends to clear at some point during the day and then it's magnificent.  Stevie is in seventh heaven since the temperature is mid-50s to mid-60s, a little cool, but we'll adapt I'm sure.

The kids are funny as they re-discover America.  Emmy is the funniest as she really doesn't remember the US at all.  She was just 2 1/2 when we left so has lived half her life in Japan and half in America.  We were at one house the other day and she asked "What's that?"  It was a squirrel!!!  She didn't recognize it.  And her face when she saw the doors of the van automatically open was priceless!

Now we're at the airport again waiting for the red eye to Atlanta so we can spend a month with Grammie and Grandpa as we wait for the house to close and our shipments to arrive.


  1. That picture of Steve made me laugh out loud. Glad you guys are having fun back in the good ol' US of A. Hope everything works out with the house appraisal!

  2. I, too, loved the picture of Steve! Absolutely perfect! Barnes and Noble? How did we survive Oki without it? If someone wanted to create a fantastic business all they need to do is put a bookstore (a big one) on a base in Oki! And maybe a cooking supply store (on base ... I know there's a few out and about but they're spendy).

    Your last day in Japan made my eyes well up with tears. It's such a beautiful slice of heaven. Not knowing what to expect when you first get there is the best part because you're constantly surprised (I love that you found a new little place before you left ... that, alone, is a gift from God). We miss that little place.

    And congrats on the van!! Woo-hoo! Do I hear a road-trip planned in your near future? (wink, wink?) :)
    Angie K