Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Japanese Video Games

I've written before about the fun lands that they have here for kids (and adults) and all the various games and such they have in them, but this afternoon I took (aka - was begged into taking) the kids to WagoLand again.  This is one of those places that you pay one fee and the kids get to go crazy on all the stuff - trampolines, ball pits, batting cages, and VIDEO GAMES!  This afternoon's trip mainly focused on the video games which gave me a good chance to really study these things.  Now I am not queen of the video games - I barely played the Atari that my mom and dad bought us some 30 years ago (just to remind me how antiquated that is, Cannon just asked me "What's Atari?").  But I thought the Japanese had some creative, if not different video games to what you might find in an American arcade.

Like the sushi chef video game...





You had to line the giant cleaver up over the line in the digital fish (or octopus!) and then chop it in the right place.  No, I'm serious, this is a legitimate video game.


Or the wok video game...



Again, a legitimate game where you had to flip the wok and try to get a dumpling through a digital hoop in the wok.

Or the taiko drum game where you get to play the drum along to a Japanese tune.  It's sort of a Japanese kid's version of Guitar Hero.  A taiko drum is a traditional drum here in Okinawa.


Note that in Japan you even play video games with your shoes off!

Or the "beatmania" game where you get to mix your own tune using turntables.  I lived the dream of being a club DJ!


Cannon's "thumb's up" rating my performance!

And then there was the driving performance game that I tried.  I loved that you got graded either A, B, C, D or E!  Not F, but E!



This was cute when Lundy was playing the crotch rocket motorcycle game and Emmy was along for the ride.  I am not encouraged that he won this game when he's only 6!



This was Emmy's inovative way of playing the car racing game!  It's the only way she could reach the pedals and steer at the same time!

1 comment:

  1. Our kids are officially jealous after seeing this post! We miss the video games! :( Way to rub it in! :)
    Angie

    ReplyDelete