Saturday, July 10, 2010

Tempura Dinner

I've tried making several Japanese dishes since we've lived here, in fact at one point I set a goal to cook "Japanese" at least once a week.  That goal was quickly dashed by my loving husband who confessed, after living here a year, that he really doesn't like Japanese food, except for the occasional sushi dinner and tempura.  I think the tastes are just too bland for the champion spice lover.

Fortunately, I have become a mini-master of tempura and last night I whipped up another culinary delight for the fam'.  Tempura is actually quite easy, although time consuming while waiting for the batches of morsels to cook.  I guess if I had a bigger pot I could cook more things at a time, but my little tempura pan purchased at Jusco is designed for Japanese appetites, not American ones!

So if you're interested in how to bring a little bit of the Orient into your home for dinner, here's the recipe...

For the dipping sauce:
1 2/3 cup second dashi stock (or fish boullion will work)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup mirin (this is a type of cooking sake, I guess similar to our cooking wine?)

To make the dipping sauce, mix all the ingredients in a pan. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and set aside.

For the tempura:
 
A selection of various veggies, sliced or cut into fairly thin sections (sliced sweet potatoes, eggplant, green pepper, squash, green beans, shiitake mushrooms, okra, onion, etc.)
 
 

Shrimp, if you like them

For the batter:
-Scant cup of ice-cold water
-1 egg, beaten
-3/4 cup sifted, plain flour
-2-3 ice cubes

The key, I think, with the batter, is to keep it really cold!  To make the batter, pour the ice-cold water into a mixing bowl, add the beaten egg and mix well.  Add the flour and very roughly fold in with a fork.  The batter will be quite lumpy.  Add the ice cubes.




In a wok or deep fryer, heat enough oil to fill half the pan to about 350 degrees.  Lightly dust the veggies with a little flour, dunk into the batter mix, then shake off the excess.  Deep-fry a few pieces at a time until lightly brown. 




Drain on paper towel (you go through a lot of paper towel!!!)


(This is shiso leaf, a Japanese herb in the mint family with a slight basil flavor.  It's super yummy when done in tempura!)

The results... one chowing down family!



I usually make miso soup to go with this dinner which I'll post another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment