Saturday, October 23, 2010

English Lessons

I've made several posts since living here about the funny way the Japanese translate English in their signs, menus, etc.  I'm fairly convinced (especially after having traveled in other Asian countries who seem to be able to translate English just fine) that the Japanese do this on purpose.  I mean this is 2010 - we do have spell check!  I think it's their national way of "stickin' it to us".


And then yesterday as I was driving home after dropping the kids at school; I was listening to a story on NPR about how some Japanese companies are now mandating that their employees learn English and exclusively use it in all business dealings.  The story was really interesting, but the most amusing part was this clip they played from an actual Japanese TV series that ran in the early 90's.




Which lead me to look up on YouTube other videos.  This one had me rolling so hard I was crying!


1 comment: