Monday, October 11, 2010

Happy Taiku no hi

As we Americans were celebrating our politically-incorrect holiday today, the Japanese appeared to be celebrating an equally banal holiday - taiku no hi, or Sports Day.  I was completely unaware that the Japanese had a holiday today until I took the kids and Stevie (on his first outing in four days) to a Japanese park.  It was crazy busy!  The kids all playing at the playground, families paddling in paddle boats, playing basketball, riding bikes, etc.  So I asked the Japanese guard on the gate as we returned home, what holiday is it?  In his limited English he tells me what sounded like "walk-out day".  Walk out day?  Does everyone walk off their jobs???  Nooo, he was trying to say "work-out day"!  So I promptly came home to Google it and discovered it is actually "Sports Day".  No wonder the Japanese are so thin, they actually have national holidays that promote physical fitness!

No comments:

Post a Comment