Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Otoshidama

I was recently reading an article about some of the traditions and such around Japanese New Year - it is one of their biggest holidays - and I thought this was interesting.  Otoshidama is a custom in Japan whereby the children receive gifts of money in small envelopes on New Year's Day.

It originally was a Shinto right that developed from the kagamimochi that were offered to the gods at this time of year.  Kagamimochi are two round rice cakes on top of each other with a tangerine on top.  As well as at the shrines, people put these in their homes at their front entrances to welcome in good luck (you take them down after 10 days).  When the respective time had ended, the rice cakes were then given to people worshipping at the shrine.  They were believed to have "holy energy" when eaten, but eventually the "energy" was transferred into "monetary energy" and given as cash in an envelope!


My little display that Kelly bought me.  It's the Year of the Rabbit.

The kagamimochi.

I've seen displays of these envelopes in the stores - the designs range anywhere from little flowers to Pokemon to Hello Kitty (of course!)  The relatives of a child buy some of these envelopes and puts cold hard cash in them to give to the kids.  They say that the amount ranges from 500 Yen (about $5) to 10,000 Yen or more (about $120).  I guess this is an easier way of doing your gift shopping!  The average elementary school student gets between $10 - $30 per relative and the older kids get between $50 - $100 - that means some of them are hauling in about $1,000 or more! 

When I told Cannon about this he said, and I quote, "I want to be a Japanese kid!"

No comments:

Post a Comment