Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Monkey Store

I've found my most favorite store on the island!!!  It's a cross between Lowe's/Dollar Tree/Walmart/PetSmart.  The real name is Make Man, but people call it the Monkey Store because it has a big monkey (cartoon and painted) on its sign.  I've spent hours in there already because there are sooo many fun things to look at.  The other day I spent two hours there and tonight I went back for another fix.  Partly because I really did need plants and pots, but partly because it's fun!  I'm trying to spruce up the front of our house.  As you've seen from the pictures, it's a bit stark.  Ok, it's one step up from a mental institution.  So I'm trying to plant a garden except it's, like, stinking hot outside.  I'm so dedicated to planting this garden that I'm actually outside at 7:15 AM (for those of you who know me know that this is unheard of!)  I still get hot, but at least I can get a little done.  The other obstacle is that the ground is as hard as rock, mostly because it is rock.  But I am determined!!!

So back to Make Man's.  There are all kinds of interesting things to look at - there's a "Dollar Tree" section, a housewares section, a carpet area, a pet store area (more Hercules beatles!) and of course a plant center.  Some of my favorite things include the peelable, washable toilet seat covers (I'm assuming they're washable by the picture of the washing machine on the packaging!)  Why would you need these? 



And the toilet slippers.  I did actually read about these.  Of course you know that when you enter a Japanese house, you remove your shoes.  Apparently in some houses, they provide guests with slippers.  And in some houses, they provide special slippers to wear while in the bathroom.  You remove the house slippers to put the toilet slippers on!  Of course my neighbor pointed out that "toilet" is written in English!  Guess the Japanese would know what they are for.


The other favorite is the aisle of rice cookers.  Who knew that there were so many different varieties???


Must go back soon for more pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment