Saturday, August 22, 2009

What's for dinner?

I visited another Japanese grocery store yesterday with aisles and aisles of neat looking bottles and packages - but I still have no idea what they are!  Steve wanted hamburgers for dinner so I attempted to buy ground beef!  You would think that would be fairly easy, but living in a land where you can buy a package of octopus tentacles or fish heads, I wasn't completely sure.  See there was this little picture of a cow face, a pig face and a chicken face right below the meat.  Luckily, there was an employee standing there and I asked her (by pointing to the picture) beef?  I felt like Kevin Costner in "Dances with Wolves" asking the Indians - "tatonka?"  I was tempted to make a gesture indicating horns!  After assuring me the package was "only beef" I went on to find a veg.  Yes, you know me, must have something green on the plate.  I found what turned out to be some yummy cooked spinach with sesame seeds (thought we'd had this in some restaurant so took a chance) and a package of what I was pretty sure was edamame beans. 


The problem was when we got home and tried to read the cooking directions - anyone want to take a guess???


By the way, the burgers turned out pretty good - topped them with advocado and grilled enoki mushrooms, washed down by a Sapporo.  And the edamame were good too - the kids really enjoyed popping open the pods.

On another note, I was reading in a local publication (in English) that the first death in Japan from H1N1 happened here.  In fact one-quarter of the cases are here in Okinawa.  According to the local prefecture health offical, "speed of spreading goes much faster than mainland Japan because Okinawa has finished the rainy season and the air has become very dry."  Are you kidding me???  There is 79% humidity on any given day.  I'm not sure I follow their reasoning...

No comments:

Post a Comment